Saturday, June 9, 2007

Old Testament Overview

Fantastic week of study....we basically got an overview of the entire Old Testament! Our instructor, Phil Leage, is a missionary based out of The King's Lodge. He is one of the founders of the SBS, School of Biblical Studies and he travels all over the world sharing his passion for God's word. SBS is a nine month course that takes you through the bible.. five times...each time you read it in different ways...you get an overview of the full counsel of God. I think the average weekly study time for the SBS student is 60 hours...INTENSE but they learn so much. Wow...I got off course...we also had a two hour lesson entitled Discovering the Psalms. I have so enjoyed the Bible study this week...when you begin to understand the culture of biblical times and what God's intentions were for Israel, it really paints a beautiful picture of His character...His goodness, faithfulness and his patience with mankind...He is good and he is faithful!!!
I am working on my second book review at the moment... Foreign to Familiar...it is a guide to understanding hot- and cold-climate cultures. Good so far. :) Hope to finish a lot quicker that I did last time...no last minute stuff!! I think we are to do a third on the outreach...haven't studied this much in 18 years...I'm actually enjoying it this time around. ;)
This morning Patrick and I went to Asda..England's walmart...and we handed out beautiful lavender scented wooden roses to Asda employee's. It was awesome to talk to people and see their reaction when we told them we simply wanted to bless them for how hard they work. Having worked in retail for a long time I could appreciate the smiles. :) I hope we do this again.
Memory verse for the week: Genesis 12:1-3 The Lord had said to Abram "Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father's family, and go to the land that I will show you. I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you."

No comments: