Saturday, July 14, 2007

Smokey Mountain

Hi everyone...
Wonderful day of ministry today...we went to the rubbage dump or Smokey Mountain. WE did about an hour of door-to-door ministry, a drama and we took time to play and minister to the children...i must admit this was very hard to see...the people live in garbage, pigs are every where and the children often get bitten. The poverty is worse here than I could have imagined...many children are so dirty, you can barely see their faces...many have no clothing and simply walk around naked or half dressed...my heart struggled as we settled in. We will go back soon to do bathing and clothing of the children...I can't wait for that.
I met a young woman named Flora who has a one year old son and a baby on the way...we approached her as she and the baby were digging through the trash looking for metal to sell. Her husband works but is not always guaranteed money...he probably earns 2 pisos an hour which is pennies...she digs for the metal to help pay for food. Flora is 17 and had such a sadness about her...my heart really went out to her. Her mother and grandmother are followers of Jesus and she is too...but I really sensed she needs encouragement. Many people we have met seem to be in the same place...a place I can identify with. My heart screams discipleship as so many of you have really poured your lives into me...I think we are now going to settle down and try to visit and disciple many of the faces we have touched through bible studies and such...there will be many more opportunities to seek those who haven't come to Jesus as well.
Flora and her son were waiting on her husband to return and hoping he would bring food for dinner. Our team felt led to bless them with a few kilos of rice and some proper baby food for the young one...it was great to see her smile and it was and a pleasure to share that the Lord wanted to bless her today.
There are so many so many faces and stories to tell...I will share as many as I can with you. Thank you for your prayers and know that God is here!!! :)
I have been advised by a very special friend to stop early and use spell check...so long for now!! Love you guys and blessings to everyone!!!
Oh...it is spelled piso on the money!! ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read and cry.